Dr. Michael Leahy
A world renowned chiropractor and proud ReST Bed™ owner.
Dr. Leahy is best known for inventing an innovative treatment for soft tissue disorders, known as Active Release Techniques® (ART®). Over 10,000 providers have been trained on this method, and ART™ has treated and transformed the lives of over 100 millions people worldwide.
What makes The ReST Bed™ is the best
bed for back and neck pain?
The ReST Bed™ is the first and only mattress that lets you customize support wherever you need it most, whether it’s in your head, shoulders, lumbar, hips, or legs!
Real Time Adjustments
When you move or as pressure builds up, our patented sensor technology makes it possible for The ReST Bed™ to respond in real time to your needs.
Relieves individual body aches & pains
The ReST Bed™ is compatible with any adjustable base, which helps alleviate back pain.
Our customers rave about the ReST Bed™’s customization and automatic response.
“This bed has been amazing for my back. In our old bed I was having a hard time falling and staying asleep. Now that we have our rest bed, I have no problem falling and staying asleep now. I love our rest bed!”
Ashley U. (Orlando, FL)
“My wife and I love the separate chambers, as it gives more adjustability for support. We had a single chamber air bed in the past, but this is better. We added an adjustable base, and I must sleep better, as I heaven’t felt tired since sleeping on it. Also the customer service is awesome! They respond in minutes not days like so many other companies do.”
Chris U. (Farmington, MN)
“We absolutely love the ReST bed! The ability to control 5 zones allows for a great night’s sleep. The customer service is also great. Every time we have had a question or a problem, they have been answered and solved extremely fast. We would recommend this bed to all our family and friends.”
The future of sleep
Stay in touch
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date on product releases, technology upgrades, discounts and more!
Not all back pain is the same. If you want to find the right mattress for back pain relief, you need to think about your pain points.
The five main types of back pain that sleepers suffer from include:
- Lower back pain
- Middle back pain
- Upper back pain
- Hip pain
- Neck pain
Once you’ve identified your pain, you can start to look for a mattress type that addresses it.
Lower back pain is the most common type of back pain. More than half of people who suffer from lower back pain experience poor sleep. For stomach sleepers and back sleepers, the best mattress for lower back pain is a firm mattress that offers more support for the hips. This will keep your lower back from bowing and creating tension.
Middle back pain can be caused by improper sleep position. It affects the 12 discs around the lungs and shoulders. People who suffer from this type of pain should look for a mattress that contours to the body to keep the shoulders and back aligned. Contouring materials include memory foam, latex foam, and the Purple Grid™.
Upper back pain and middle back pain are often considered the same, though if you have back pain closer to the neck area, this will affect your mattress choice. If you’re a side sleeper, you may need a softer mattress to address this pain. If you’re a back or stomach sleeper, you might need a new pillow.
Hip pain is caused by the misalignment of the hips and back. Sleeping on your back can help this. If you’re a side sleeper, the best mattress for back and hip pain may be a softer mattress. Stomach sleepers may need a firmer mattress. Side sleepers can also use a knee pillow to support the hips.
Neck pain can often be solved with a new pillow, but sometimes tension from the lower spine can radiate up and cause neck pain. If a pillow doesn’t help your neck pain, you may need a new mattress with better back support.
With targeted adjustability and automatic sense and respond technology, the ReST Bed is the perfect sleeping solution for someone with back or neck pain.
There’s no such thing as a wrong sleep position, but there is such a thing as the wrong mattress for your sleep position. If your mattress doesn’t accommodate your sleep style, back pain is often the result.
There are three different sleep positions: back, side, and stomach. The right mattress can relieve your back pain depending on your sleep position.
- Back Sleepers: Back sleepers suffer from pain when their mattress is too old or too soft. Sometimes, just getting a new mattress can help. Old mattresses can develop lumps or depressed spots and lose their uniform support. A mattress that’s too soft may cause a back sleeper’s spine to arch, resulting in pressure in the upper and lower back.
- Side Sleepers: The best mattress for side sleepers with back pain is a softer mattress. This is because side sleepers need to sink deeper into the mattress to achieve spinal alignment. A firm mattress will keep the hips and shoulders elevated, causing the middle spine to bow and the neck to bend.
- Stomach Sleepers: Stomach sleepers need a firm mattress to keep the spine straight. They often suffer from chronic back pain due to the contortion of the neck and shoulders, as well as the hips sinking into the mattress. Stomach sleepers need a firm or medium firm mattress.
There’s just one problem with the above sleep positions. Most of us are combination sleepers, which means we sleep in all three positions each night. This can make relieving back pain tricky.
There is a mattress that can help. The ReST Smart Bed automatically adjusts its firmness and support as you change positions at night. A pressure detection membrane within the mattress tells the five support zones to become softer or firmer, keeping your spine aligned no matter what your sleep position is. Both sides of the bed have their own pressure membrane and air chambers, so your partner will get the same amazing sleep and pressure relief.
We’ve talked a bit about soft and firm mattresses, but how do mattress materials affect the way a mattress feels?
There are many different mattress types to choose from, and all of them will have a different effect on your back pain.
- Memory Foam: Memory foam is one of the most popular mattress materials. It contours to the body’s curves, and is regarded as one of the best materials for back pain, especially for side sleepers. The downside of memory foam is that it can sleep hot and degrade over time.
- Latex Foam: Latex foam has more bounce than memory foam while offering similar contouring support. A latex mattress is a great choice for back pain, but it can be quite expensive, and sleepers often complain of firmness and compression problems.
- Purple Grid™: The Purple Grid™ is an open-channel hyperelastic material that has the support of a memory foam mattress with increased airflow and durability. It suspends the body in zero-gravity comfort, keeping the spine aligned and tension-free. You can only find the Purple Grid™ in the ReST Smart Bed and Purple Mattress ™.
- Innerspring: An innerspring mattress has pocketed coils that can offer back pain relief, typically for stomach and back sleepers who need a responsive, firm surface. The downside of innerspring mattresses is that they are heavier and more prone to dust mites.
- Hybrid: A hybrid mattress is a combination of a pocketed coil base and another mattress material. Hybrids are typically more supportive and comfortable than non-hybrids, but many people complain of structural weakness depending on the materials used.
What is the best mattress for back pain? The definitive answer is the ReST Smart Bed. The ReST Smart Bed reacts to your every move without you having to do a thing. It’s the only bed that guarantees optimal spinal support for:
- Every sleep position
- Every body weight
- Every back pain type
- Two sleepers simultaneously (dual zones)
The ReST Smart Bed is built with five medical-grade polyurethane air chambers that inflate and deflate to accommodate your sleep style. A sensor layer sends messages to an air pump by measuring mattress pressure as you sleep. It actually knows your precise sleep position and reacts accordingly.
If you prefer to set your own firmness and support settings, you can do it on the ReST Smart Bed app and lock in your preferences.
The ReST Smart Bed is topped with a three-inch Purple Grid™ comfort layer for unrivaled breathability and zero-gravity support. This contouring layer suspends the body in the air and allows the spine to relax in its natural position.
The ReST Smart Bed is the all-around best mattress for back pain. Not only does it accommodate every type of sleeping position and back pain, but its adjustable base does all the work for you. All you have to do is sleep.
Check out some ReST Smart Bed reviews to see what others are saying about the best mattress for back pain.